Saturday, November 27, 2010

Don't Dare Make Me Regret

Photobucket

"Don't Dare Make Me Regret"

This is a truth I have pondered,
Since I was maybe eight, nine or ten.
How will you say goodbye,
Because it is not a matter of if,
But when.

When you say goodbye.
Will it be an I wish you well,
Or will it be a,
Go to hell.

For most,
It is less than a thought,
Perhaps it never crosses their mind.
So is it a moment of pause,
Or regret for rewind.

What if we decided first?
How we intend to say goodbye.
Open and honest.
Nothing to hide.

Wouldn’t that be nice?
Avoiding the fears.
Upfront and honest,
Spared the tears.

I mean,
I’m good.
If you don’t want to be my friend.
I certainly have no need,
For you to add to the trend.

Don’t ever say you love me,
If it isn’t true.
From this place in my life I’ve no need.
To believe any less of you.

A truth I have pondered,
Since I was maybe eight, nine or ten.
How will you say goodbye,
It is not a matter of if,
But when.

So when at last,
If we say goodbye.
Don’t dare make me regret,
The tears in my eyes.

From wisdom I can only offer this,
Acknowledge that you will say goodbye.
Please don’t leave them to regret,
The tears in their eyes.

Don’t dare make me regret,
What I will never forget.

d
11-27-2010



No comments:

Post a Comment