Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A Simple What Could Have Been



A Simple What Could Have Been
  
I thought we re-wrote the stars.
I burst out of that dark little room.
For you.
Because of you.

Everyone in my life,
Should give you a round of applause.
A standing ovation.
Being with you.
Your vacation.
Your recreation.

You seemed so real.
But just a silhouette.
Shadowed by lies,
Right before my eyes.
  
So, I guess I took a ride on a horse with no name.
To a beautiful hotel in somewhere California.
Where nobody leaves,
And they remember your name.
Any time of year,
You can find me here.

I had to stop myself,
From believing.
After all.
It all was false.
Another lie.

And I banked it all on,
A simple what could have been.
Do you remember when I asked?
When I asked what you wanted?
Your silhouette said yes.
Still when the sun came out, 
It quite simply set.

Such a long time ago,
It feels like a yesterday's before.
I remember the place we were.
But I don’t drive past there anymore.

Danny Gunter
11-27-2018

No comments:

Post a Comment